HollyBusby

Fashion Style Guide

My first fashion blog

Best Dressed: Grammy Awards

The long-awaited Award Season is back and this time the Grammys had its fair share of hits and misses. For some reason, the Grammys mean full authorization to dress as wild or as outrageous as possible (i.e. Rihanna’s ball of pink tulle, Madonna’s matador outfit or Joy Villa’s orange fence disaster). However, the best dressed list is going to read like a Billboard Top 40 chart – but you know, sometimes the best musicians also happen to have incredible style. It’s not the VMAs with their anything-goes approach but it’s a time for you to wear that designer who makes that madcap tailored jumpsuit or to bare some strategic skin.

A notable scene-stealer was Taylor Swift, who showed up in a ludicrously gorgeous Elie Saab gown, made even better by her fuchsia Giuseppe Zanotti heels.

Katy Perry also caught our attention, which was totally the point of her uber twinkling Zuhair Murad mini. Not to be outdone, fellow nominees Beyoncé (in Proenza Schouler) and Nicki Minaj (in Tom Ford) also turned heads in black gowns that were anything but simple or what we call, “basic”.

Photo: white formal dresses

Gwen Stefani rocked a jumpsuit on the red carpet. The detailing on the bustier paired with the voluminous pants tapering at the ankle make this Atelier Versace number not-your-average one piece. Plus, Gwen's hair and makeup are just fabulous. It’s artwork, really gorgeous artwork.

Stop everything! The "Blank Space" singer deserves a standing ovation (or at least seated applause) for this ocean blue Elie Saab gown with fuchsia Giuseppe Zanotti heels. The ombre effect on this Elie Saab gown is just exquisite, and Taylor was smart to pair it with aqua earrings and blue-toned eyeshadow to bring the look together and make her eyes pop! Finally those fuchsia heels – a striking accent.

(On the fence) This Jean Paul Gaultier number looks like a very luxe sparkly bathrobe, no? We like the statement-making epaulettes and the rather over-the-top sparkle, but below the waist, we don't dig the odd middle slit and pockets. Though we have to say, we adore Kim's new lob.

Leave it to Queen B to kill it on the red carpet. Her black gown is classy, dazzling, glamorous, sexy...EVERYTHING we love.

This is a sheer look we can get behind! Jessie J stuns in this sheer embroidered number showing off her striking figure and paired with that slick 'do and dark lip, she looked dramatic in all the right ways.

Katy Perry wanted to shine bright like a diamond -- and she succeeded. However, this liquid larger-than-life dress is a bit perplexing, thanks to the nude-ness of it all. But, the purple hair and metallic makeup are pretty on-point.

Anna Kendrick in a classic pantsuit we can stand behind. Sleek, sexy, and oh-so-chic. Love. Her Band of Outsiders suit, and Jimmy Choo pumps were really spot-on!

Okay, it may not be a crazy hat, but Pharrell's Adidas short suit is still absolutely cool. What makes it extra special? The suit is actually grey -- the reflection from the flash makes it seem bright white in pictures.

Haim wore the ultimate cool girl outfits to the Grammys. We just want to be their friends – or at least share their wardrobe.

Figure-hugging dress? Check. Tactically placed cut-outs? Check. Gorgeous hair and makeup? Check. Chrissy Teigen nailed this look. So far every awards show in 2015 has had at least one spectacular white gown and thanks to John Legends' wife (in Emilio Pucci) that trend is still going strong.

This ruffled number is just so beautiful on Ciara. The high-low hemline prevents it from looking like a giant ball of tulle (i.e. Rihanna) and the slicked back hair keeps the dress as the focal point.