HollyBusby

Fashion Style Guide

My first fashion blog

48 Hours of Fashion gears up for a stylish return to Nottingham

Preparations are in hand across the city centre for Nottingham’s most-talked about fashion event.

Back for its third year is 48 Hours of Fashion, and it’s getting ready to be bigger and better than before.

On Friday, March 13 and Saturday, March 14, there will be catwalk shows, beauty masterclasses and shopping offers – all from a large marquee in the Old Market Square.

The shows are free to attend and will begin on the hour every hour from 12pm to 6pm on Friday and 11am to 5pm on Saturday. And with over 50 retailers getting involved, the event is expected to attract thousands of visitors.

Models take to the catwalk at last year's 48 Hours of Fashion event

Pictures: bridesmaid dresses sydney

Taking on the task of picking the fashions for the weekend is stylist Lola Royle.

The 29-year-old, who is based in London, joined the 48 Hours of Fashion crew last year but says that 2015’s event will be “different and bigger – with a lot going on and a lot of print and colour on the catwalk.”

The event is organised by the Nottingham Business Improvement District (BID), who hope to raise awareness of the great retailers and businesses in the city.

Stylist of the show, Lola, will be working alongside a creative team of choreographers, models, retailers and fashion students to help make each show as stylish as the next.

This year the audience will also be treated to a 360° view courtesy of a revolving catwalk.

She says: “I’m coming down to Nottingham next week to meet with the students and retailers.

“We have such a different range getting involved this year – from Oxfam all the way through to Ted Baker. There’s such a wide variety.

“The way we’ve planned it is that each scene is an event in Nottingham.”

During each catwalk sequence, six scenes depicting a different event and theme in Nottingham will take place.

Shops jumping on board and providing the catwalk clothing include Warehouse, Dr Martens, Wild Clothing, House of Fraser, Cath Kidston, Topshop, French Connection and TK Maxx.

Lola says: “The six different themes are the Nottingham Riviera, Splendour Festival, Nightlife, Wollaton Hall, Game City and sporting events.

“Each scene has a particular fashion trend tailored to them. We’ve got some great trends coming through this season.”

Look out for floppy hats, tea dresses and suede materials for this year’s 70s hippy chic look.

“This is all about the bohemian feel and dressing for a festival – perfect for Splendour,” says the stylist.

“Stripes are also huge this spring, and they’re all clashing. Think about wearing different coloured stripes with a top and then trousers.

“Just like last year, pastels have also come back. Pastels are great for the transition from winter into spring because you can simply add a pastel blazer or top for a pop of colour.”

Prints to look out for on the catwalk include botanical florals, tribals, tropicals and ethnic inspired patterns.

“The other trends that we’ll be focusing on in 48 Hours of Fashion include Road to Morocco, Sports Luxe and Jungle Fever. Think palm trees!” says Lola.

As well as the hourly catwalk shows, a number of retailers will be on hand for pop-up masterclasses offering style advice and tips.

This includes how to properly pack your suitcase for your summer holiday, the latest beauty looks and how to wear this year’s fashion trends.

Beyond the marquee, a number of shops, restaurants, bars and cafes will be holding their own special offers and exclusive activities.

Lola says: “I loved the event last year – it was a fantastic experience. It really opened my eyes because I’d never been to Nottingham before and I got a real bond with the city. I didn’t want to leave.

“It’s such a fashionable city, there is so much going on. Nottingham for me is the next big thing.

“You’ve got the vintage area, high street, independent boutiques, bridal shops, sportswear – there’s so much that is in one place.”

She adds: “Everyone is starting to build up this year’s event and are talking and tweeting about it.

“It’s going to be a great event.”

More info: GraziaDressAU black bridesmaid dresses