HollyBusby

Fashion Style Guide

My first fashion blog

'Star Wars' (and 'Trek') weddings are out of this world

Anthony Nygren proposed to his girlfriend of about of four years, Meg Thompson, in one of the nerdiest locales imaginable: at the Twin Cities' Zombie Pub Crawl in 2014.

On Thursday, for their nuptials, the couple went with a different geeky genre: "Star Wars."

At the Minnesota Zoo IMAX theater, with an honor guard of "Star Wars" costumers present, and immediately prior to a showing of the new film "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," the couple staged a fantastical union, with the bride's dad as Han Solo walking her down the aisle, and Darth Vader himself as the officiant.

The couple, appropriately enough, live in New Hope. (The maiden "Star Wars" chapter from 1977 is now known as "Star Episode IV: A New Hope.") The groom chose to dress up as bad guy Kylo Renfrom the new Episode VII, however.

The "Star Wars" superfan is hardly alone in relishing "Star Wars" for his nuptials, and in general.

Certain devotees of the sci-fi movies are so fanatical, it stands to reason they would want their weddings to incorporate aspects of the film series to varying degrees.

Lynn Sessions, as a girl, wasn't the sort to daydream about future wedding circumstances. When the Shakopee woman began dating seriously, however, she did start to think about what her eventual marriage ceremony might be like.

His mother did have a problem with this ... at first.

She "was hesitant to accept that I wanted to make a joke out of my wedding," he recalled. "I said, 'It is not a joke. It is what we love. We wanted to embrace our fandom as we showed our love for each other."

Bowie and Lynn Sessions wore "Star Wars" costumes for their civil wedding but went with Terran attire for their subsequent "court"

photo: grey bridesmaid dresses

Mom eventually got with the program and even accessorized for the occasion: She wore Death Star earrings, and a bracelet with rectangular pieces made to look like classic "Star Wars" posters.

The couple, who were on a budget, found an ideal venue for the May 4 ceremony: Fantasy Flights Game Center in Burnsville, a place festooned with "Star Wars" memorabilia and wall posters.

They weren't in "Star Wars" costumes for what they called their "court" wedding but their guests, for the most part, were.

They did wear costumes earlier, for a Minneapolis civil ceremony, with Bowie as an X-Wing pilot and Lynn as Princess Leia. During that ceremony, the "Star Wars"-simpatico judge concluded with the words, "May the Force be with you ... always."

It was much the same at the May 2014 wedding of Jim and Stacie Mossey at St. Paul's Minnesota History Center, with the pair, their guests and even the catering staff in costume.

It was a "Star Trek" wedding, though, and not a "Star Wars" one.

No one is more enthusiastic about "Star Wars" than the Mosseys, who are among Twin Cities-area costumers who make frequent charity appearances dressed as "Star Wars" characters. Stacie Mossey is even a professional costume maker.

They did like the idea of a "Star Wars" wedding but realized "Star Trek" would be more practical. "Trek" costumes are for the most part more comfortable, a key consideration since they wanted to get the staff involved.

"Star Wars" armor is not easy to wear at a wedding," Jim Mossey said. "It's expensive and cumbersome."

Stacie Mossey made "Star Trek"-style tunics "for all the wait staff, and they really enjoyed it," Jim Mossey said.

So did Stacie, a "Star Wars" fanatic from way back, who had only "recently embraced 'Star Trek,' the original series," he said.

Thursday, however, the Mosseys were back in "Star Wars" attire for the movie-theater wedding.

They were among the honor-guard costumers, with Stacie Mossey appearing as a First Order stormtrooper from the new movie, and her husband as an Imperial officer from the classic films. So were the Sessionses, with Bowie as an X-Wing pilot, and Lynn as Princess Leia.

They technically weren't there for the nuptials, since their theater appearance had been in the works for months, while the wedding came about only in recent days.

Nygren won the "Star Wars" wedding as a prize in a KDWB radio contest, with D.J. Dave Ryan serving as a Sith Lord officiant with legal standing to perform such ceremonies.

It was a dream come true for the bearded groom, even if he had to scramble for a store-bought Kylo Ren costume with no time to commission a fancier version.

"I've been a 'Star Wars' fan since I was a little kid," Nygren said. "My fiancee was never a huge fan and I've been trying to convert her."

Thompson, dressed in conventional wedding attire, confirmed she is well along in her indoctrination. "Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi" was her favorite installment, and she has been having flashbacks to "Star Wars" Barbies she recalled owning as a child.

And while a "Star Wars" wedding wouldn't have been her choice under normal circumstances, she embraced the moment for one overriding reason: "I love him."