HollyBusby

Fashion Style Guide

My first fashion blog

How to save money when planning a wedding

<P>The median cost for a wedding is about $15,000, according to the industry's Wedding Report. But many people shell out much more. Consumer Reports found plenty of ways to cut costs without sacrificing your celebration.</P>
<P>One great way to save is to schedule the wedding for any day but Saturday night. Or go for January or February. Those are often the cheapest months.</P>
<P>Don't let vendors charge more just because it's a wedding. Consumer Reports secret shoppers found a good percentage of businesses do just that. In its calls, Consumer Reports found photographers and limo services often charged more for weddings. But when asked, some businesses suggested lower-priced alternatives. And Consumer Reports says it always pays to negotiate for everything.</P>
<P>Some other ways to save:</P>
<P>Limit the entrée choices.</P>
<P>Limit the hours of the open bar. Consider serving only beer and wine.</P>
<P>Send the photographer home an hour early. A lot of guests will have left by then.</P>
<P>Related:<A href="http://www.graziaaustralia.com/white-bridesmaid-dresses">ivory bridesmaid dresses</A></P>
<P>Let your florist pick flowers that are in season. They'll be the least expensive.</P>
<P>When it comes to planning a wedding, you may hate the thought of reading the fine print. But Consumer Reports says to check every contract carefully. It found that some caterers included a built-in tip as high as 26 percent, and one charged a fee of $7 per person to cut a cake brought in from the outside.</P>
<P>Related:<A href="http://www.graziaaustralia.com/grey-silver-bridesmaid-dresses">grey bridesmaid dresses</A></P>
<P style="BOX-SIZING: border-box; BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; MARGIN: 0px 0px 15px; OUTLINE-STYLE: none; OUTLINE-COLOR: invert; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; OUTLINE-WIDTH: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT: 16px/24px OpenSans, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; BACKGROUND: rgb(255,255,255) 0px 0px; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(51,51,51); VERTICAL-ALIGN: baseline; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: 0px; WORD-SPACING: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">My first reaction to a “save the date” I received recently was not the appropriate one. I exclaimed “Oh, God” and immediately began racking my brain as to how I would find the time and money to attend.</P>
<P style="BOX-SIZING: border-box; BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; MARGIN: 0px 0px 15px; OUTLINE-STYLE: none; OUTLINE-COLOR: invert; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; OUTLINE-WIDTH: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT: 16px/24px OpenSans, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; BACKGROUND: rgb(255,255,255) 0px 0px; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(51,51,51); VERTICAL-ALIGN: baseline; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: 0px; WORD-SPACING: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">Of course, once I got over the initial shock — this wedding wasn’t on my radar and I already had five other nuptials on the calendar for this year — I felt excited for my friends and honored to be included. Still, the save the date served as a reminder that with so many friends’ special days on the horizon I should probably start doing more to make sure they don’t sink me financially.</P>
<P style="BOX-SIZING: border-box; BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; MARGIN: 0px 0px 15px; OUTLINE-STYLE: none; OUTLINE-COLOR: invert; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; OUTLINE-WIDTH: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT: 16px/24px OpenSans, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; BACKGROUND: rgb(255,255,255) 0px 0px; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(51,51,51); VERTICAL-ALIGN: baseline; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: 0px; WORD-SPACING: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">My approach to wedding budgeting has been pretty haphazard thus far. Since I graduated college, I’ve attended between five and 10 weddings of friends. I’ve scrimped when I can with hotel points, cheaper flights or other resources available to me, but essentially I’ve spent whatever it takes to attend.</P>
<P style="BOX-SIZING: border-box; BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; MARGIN: 0px 0px 15px; OUTLINE-STYLE: none; OUTLINE-COLOR: invert; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; OUTLINE-WIDTH: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT: 16px/24px OpenSans, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; BACKGROUND: rgb(255,255,255) 0px 0px; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(51,51,51); VERTICAL-ALIGN: baseline; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: 0px; WORD-SPACING: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">My reasons for this are twofold. First of all, I have fun at weddings. Often, they’re an opportunity reconnect with people I haven’t seen for years, make new friends and just generally exist in a universe of love and happiness away from the Internet and other stressors. Perhaps more important, it’s a special time for my friends that I want to witness and be a part of.</P>
<DIV style="BOX-SIZING: border-box; BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px; TEXT-ALIGN: center; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 10px; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; MARGIN: 0px 0px 20px; OUTLINE-STYLE: none; OUTLINE-COLOR: invert; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; OUTLINE-WIDTH: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT: 16px/24px OpenSans, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; BACKGROUND: rgb(255,255,255) 0px 0px; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(51,51,51); VERTICAL-ALIGN: baseline; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: 0px; WORD-SPACING: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 10px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px" id=ad-realtor-ad-content class="ad module     " data-name="Realtor Ad Content" data-proximic="true" data-conditions="18">
<DIV style="BOX-SIZING: border-box; BORDER-BOTTOM: 0pt; BORDER-LEFT: 0pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; OUTLINE-STYLE: none; OUTLINE-COLOR: invert; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; OUTLINE-WIDTH: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BACKGROUND: 0px 0px; FONT-SIZE: 16px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: baseline; BORDER-TOP: 0pt; BORDER-RIGHT: 0pt; PADDING-TOP: 0px" id=google_ads_iframe_/2/moveinc.marketwatch.com/personalfinance_articles_0__container__><IFRAME style="BOX-SIZING: border-box; BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; OUTLINE-STYLE: none; OUTLINE-COLOR: invert; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; OUTLINE-WIDTH: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BACKGROUND: 0px 0px; FONT-SIZE: 16px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" id=google_ads_iframe_/2/moveinc.marketwatch.com/personalfinance_articles_0 title="3rd party ad content" height=82 marginHeight=0 src="javascript:&quot;<html><body style='background:transparent'></body></html>&quot;" frameBorder=0 width=540 name=google_ads_iframe_/2/moveinc.marketwatch.com/personalfinance_articles_0 marginWidth=0 scrolling=no></IFRAME></DIV></DIV>
<P style="BOX-SIZING: border-box; BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; MARGIN: 0px 0px 15px; OUTLINE-STYLE: none; OUTLINE-COLOR: invert; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; OUTLINE-WIDTH: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT: 16px/24px OpenSans, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; BACKGROUND: rgb(255,255,255) 0px 0px; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(51,51,51); VERTICAL-ALIGN: baseline; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: 0px; WORD-SPACING: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">But that doesn’t erase the fact that they’re expensive. So far this year, I’ve spent more than $1,300 on wedding travel, gifts and ancillary events like bachelorette parties. And I haven’t even bought all the gifts or booked all the flights, buses and trains I’ll take this year to be a part of friends’ nuptials.</P>
<P style="BOX-SIZING: border-box; BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; MARGIN: 0px 0px 15px; OUTLINE-STYLE: none; OUTLINE-COLOR: invert; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; OUTLINE-WIDTH: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT: 16px/24px OpenSans, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; BACKGROUND: rgb(255,255,255) 0px 0px; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(51,51,51); VERTICAL-ALIGN: baseline; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: 0px; WORD-SPACING: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">Erin Lowry, the author of<SPAN class=Apple-converted-space>&nbsp;</SPAN>, a personal finance blog, estimates that between the ages of 23 and 33 — prime wedding-going years, if you will — young adults will spend roughly $15,000 on attending their friends’ weddings. That’s a back-of-the-envelope calculation, based on the average cost of travel, clothes, gifts and other expenses, but she doesn’t appear to be far off. Guests say they expect to spend $703 per wedding in 2016, more than double the $339 spent in 2012, and they anticipate attending three weddings this year,<SPAN class=Apple-converted-space>&nbsp;</SPAN><A style="BOX-SIZING: border-box; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; OUTLINE-STYLE: none; OUTLINE-COLOR: invert; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; OUTLINE-WIDTH: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BACKGROUND: 0px 0px; COLOR: rgb(100,140,148); FONT-SIZE: 16px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: baseline; TEXT-DECORATION: none; PADDING-TOP: 0px" class="icon " href="http://amex.co/1VQ6UXI" target=_new>according to data released Tuesday</A><SPAN class=Apple-converted-space>&nbsp;</SPAN>from American Express’s Spending &amp; Saving Tracker. And if history is any indication, that cost is likely to grow.</P>